Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish – Steve Jobs Commencement Speech
Steve Jobs has been an icon and a legend of our time. In this video Steve Jobs delivers one of the greatest speeches during a commencement to the students of Stanford University. He delivers three uniques messages by telling his life stories 1) Follow your heart 2) Love what you do – don’t settle 3) The power of death
Below are some highlights and quotes form Steve’s commencement.
1) Connect the dots
- Trust that it will work out.
- Engage curiosity.
- “If I would have never dropped out I would have never dropped in.”
- “You can’t connect the dots looking forward – only backwards – you have to trust that the dots will connect – gives you the confidence to follow your heart even when it takes you off of the well worn path.”
2) Love and lost
- Found what he loved early in life.
- Started apple in a garage at 20.
- “I loved what I did – I could not leave even after being publicly fired from apple.”
- “The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again.”
- “Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a break – don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going is that I loved what I did.”
- Do what you believe is great work and the only way to great work is to love what you do. Don’t settle.
3) Death as your most powerful tool.
- If you live each day as if it were your last some day you’ll most certainly be right.
- “If today were the last day of my life would I want to do what I’m about to do today. Whenever the answer has been no for too many days in a row I know I need to change something.”
- “Remembering that you may be dead soon helps make choices in life – pride, embarrassment, expectations, fear, everything falls away with death. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose- you are already naked – follow your heart.”
- Death is the destination we all share.
- “Death is the single best invention of life – clears out the old to make way for the new.”
- Time is limited – so don’t wasite it living someone elses life.
- Don’t be trapped.
- “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuitition – everything else is secondary.”
Stay hungry – stay foolish
- Motivational Monday - #AMBITION
- Get Ready For YOUR Super Bowl!
- Motivational Monday - Images to Stimulate Your #AMBITION
- Go After it With Effort
Category: Motivation, Success, Uncategorized · Tags: aapl, aaple, achieve, ambition, apple, Business, college, commencement, consultants, Death, drive, Encouragement, entrepreneur, goals, heart, hustle, icon, Inspiration, legend, Life, motivation, motivational, next, pixar, quotes, speech, standford, steve jobs, stories, students, Success, work